September 2022 President’s Message San Clemente Area Republican Women
The Importance of Getting Involved
By Susan St. Peters
Happy September, Fellow Patriots! I hope you have had a wonderful summer. As I put the finishing touches on this message, my luggage sits in the hallway, waiting to be unpacked as I recently enjoyed some family and travel time. Being able to unplug reminded me of the importance of having balance in our lives and “keeping the main thing the main thing.” Reading to (and being read to) by our 6-year-old grandson exemplified the precious days we can never reclaim; we must
savor the sweetness of our lives in the moment and be grateful for it.
Those moments and gratitude also spur us on to fight to preserve our way of life, which is under attack. Several SCARW members and I were fortunate to attend the FLAG event in Las Vegas recently (yes, it was HOT). For those unfamiliar with FLAG (Foundation for Liberty and American Greatness), the organization founded by Nick Adams (our October speaker) promotes a high-quality civics education to K-12 students across the country. At the recent FLAG gala, we heard from keynote speaker Kayleigh McEnany (President Trump’s former press secretary) along with Nick Adams (best-selling author and speaker), Wayne Allyn Root (a conservative media dynamo, best-selling author, and relentless patriot), Michael O’Fallon (an author and speaker dedicated to the preservation of our national sovereignty), and others. Absorbing all the information imparted was like drinking out of a fire hose, but some takeaways did emerge:
• What’s happening in our nation and the attacks on our values, freedoms, way of life, and Constitution itself are unprecedented and disturbing. Those advocating a progressive worldview have become increasingly adamant about destroying anyone who doesn’t think like they do.
• The only way to prevent what’s happening from getting worse and to change the direction our country is going is to get involved.
• We can’t all do everything, but we can all do something.
From now until the election, we will send out as much information as possible about opportunities
to get involved and make a difference in November, which include:
• Attending rallies, fundraisers, and events where Republican candidates will be speaking and engaging with them when possible to support them and to remind them of who their base is and what we believe in (especially if they seem to have “temporary amnesia” when it comes to supporting the values of their base). Making our presence known matters.
• Walking precincts/canvassing or manning booths/tables, stuffing envelopes, or making phone calls in support of Republican candidates.
• Working as a poll watcher for a group such as Election Integrity Project or taking a job as a poll worker. Be the eyes and ears for all of us, reporting what you observe and doing your part to restore integrity to our system. Even though progressives and their tool--the mainstream media--
constantly proclaim, “There’s nothing to see here” and “Our elections are the safest they’ve ever been” and other nonsense, the sheer number of witnesses who say otherwise will make convincing the public that much harder for them.
• Donating to candidates or conservative causes that are supporting legislation we agree with or fighting bills we don’t. Please pass along the names of organizations that share our worldview.
• Talking with those in our own sphere of influence about the issues facing our nation and the importance of voting. Many people have lost faith in the system and don’t want to vote any more, but not voting will definitely NOT help our cause. Many people have asked me what to do about races where both choices are awful. California voters are not permitted to write-in candidates in the General Election, only during the Primary. Thus, writing on your ballot in an unauthorized area could spoil your ballot, likely causing it to be thrown out altogether or adjudicated (and who knows what other “interpretations” of your ballot might be made by adjudicators once they get in there). Errors, intentional or unintentional, could result if someone fills out a ballot on your behalf. What about leaving a race blank? Possibly the blank will be recorded as “no vote” for that race, but in other instances, the blank may be cause for adjudication, giving someone else a chance to decide how you meant to vote. Leaving a blank also means that it’s one less vote against the Democrat, so leaving a blank does not help our cause. Sometimes we’re forced to vote for a bad choice in lieu of a worse one.
• Keeping a cool head. Not allowing ourselves to be goaded or provoked into saying or doing something in anger was reiterated by several speakers. These progressives who are following Saul Alinsky’s playbook accuse us of doing what they themselves are doing (destroying our country, claiming they will “Build back better,” but to “build back,” they must first destroy), and they accuse conservatives of being what they themselves are (insurrectionists and domestic terrorists). For conservatives to react in anger and/or resort to violence, thus “proving” that we’re the ones endangering this country, plays into the hands of those seeking to destroy us. Leftists infiltrate our organizations and deliberately incite violence. We should speak out against the wrongs the leftists perpetrate, but we must guard ourselves from over-reacting and be aware of our surroundings to avoid entrapment and prevent the left’s two-tiered justice system being used against us. James 1:19 reminds us, “Now everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger.”
• Fasting and praying for our country. We should all know who is running and should research what candidates stand for, and believers should be praying for specific candidates and leaders by name. Pray that those who share our values will be emboldened to stand firm and that those who claim to share our values but who have not stood for them will have a change of heart and a willingness to stand where they have failed. Philippians 4:5-7 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God, surpassing all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Romans
12:18 reminds us, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”
Regardless of the election’s outcome, the Lord is still on the throne and in control. I Thessalonians 5:16 admonishes us to “pray without ceasing” and to seek His will. We know that God “changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding,” according to Daniel 2:21. In Isaiah 41:10, we are comforted by His promises, “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” We are to be about our Father’s business (Luke 2:49) and to “occupy until He comes” (Luke 19:13), so let’s keep doing what we can to help turn our beloved country back towards righteousness. The outcome is in God’s hands, but we have work to do too!
# # #